A few months ago Aunt Frances spoke about the history of the Nixon's, at the Historical Mundy House in Denver. It's a beautiful house inside with a lot of history for our area. I learned a lot that I still need to write down so I can remember correctly. The Nixon's came from Ireland. A lot was spoken about the store business in the family. The one in front of my parent's house was named the "Carl Nixon Store", which was my Dad's grandfather. It was built in the 1920's. The store had medal box on the porch that housed ice that was brought in from Davidson. The Barber Shop was in the back, but Perry Nixon, the barber only worked on Saturdays :) Mom still has the notebook where he wrote down who came in and who paid. An older gentleman in the group that night remembered getting his hair cut there many years ago. I thought that was neat.
Carl died, who was married to Stella, in 1947. The store closed in the 1960's when Carl and Stellas son James Nixon (my Dad's Dad) couldn't keep it up while teaching school and farming the land.
Here are a few pictures from that night :)

No comments:
Post a Comment